- Why does Hilltop have curvy streets? In 1893 two subdivisions were joined together to form Hilltop. The streets failed to line up so the result was an awkward jag on every street between 3rd & 4th Avenue, with roughly a 30 foot long right of way for street cars, water and gas mains (called Thrice Place).
- Cranmer Park was originally purchased for only $20,000? George Cranmer, manager of Parks and Improvement, developed Cranmer Park (also known as Sundial Park) in 1935 on a plot of land that was purchased by the city for $20,0000. A single home resided on the property, which was torn down, and trees were also removed in order to preserve the mountain views. Cranmer also developed Robinson Park and Clermont Parkway.
- Robinson Park was going to be a dump? In 1943 the Robinson family donated the land for Robinson Park. The park was not built until 1950. The donated land was the former Robinson brickyard with piles of brick and a deep pit. During the construction of Rose Hospital the dirt was taken to Robinson Park to fill in the pit and add a sledding hill still used today by neighborhood children. The Hilltop Association was also formed at this time, to lobby the city to make the donated land a park, instead of a temporary landfill.
- A plane crashed in Hilltop? In 1951 a B29 plane, attempting to land at Lowry Air Force Base, crashed into 5 houses at the 100 South blocks of Eudora and Dahlia Streets. 14 crewmen were killed in the crash, but remarkably no residents in Hilltop were harmed. The house at 80 South Eudora was completely destroyed. There was one other crash in 1956 near Crestmoor at South Monaco and Bayaud.
Fun Facts About Hilltop